Friday, August 08, 2008

TGIF!

YAY its Friday! End of the week...Oh no! that means cycling! ARGH! This weekend is specially difficult as I've got to attend a wedding reception which means I cant be out too late on Saturday to get to the reception in time and I will be up too late to get up early on Sunday.

The solution: simple, cycle on Friday night and then again on Saturday morning. How far though? 40 miles each way. Well....38 each way.

I'm going to cycle down to my friends on friday night, watch a DVD and eat loads of high energy food, then on saturday cycle home. My legs will be in agony. The roads will be busy on friday night. It will be getting dark. And looking out the window just now...most likely pouring with rain. It will be a tough test of mental and physical endurance. As I will be cycling on roads I will be unable to use an MP3 player to keep my mind occupied as it will stop me hearing vehicles behind me.

38 miles on your own is a long way to be alone. 3.5 hours. Your mind occupied by nothing but the lactic acid burning in your muscles. Occupied by the pain in your foot. Occupied by the hunger you feel. 38 miles of battling thoughts of wanting to give in.

So what makes me go on when I know I am hurting, hungry and about to pass the limit of my endurance? Memories of the video of Jack Macpherson on youtube. He didn't have a choice. I do have a choice, but I am not going to let myself, my friends or him down.

No comments: