Monday, August 04, 2008

Lucky to be in Scotland

I've got to admit, I really am lucky to live in Scotland. This weekend we cycled from Dunoon to Rothesay. As we neared the ferry terminal in Gourock the rain started. It looked to be a miserable day. We bought "hop-scotch" tickets. A way of travelling inter-island without having to buy multiple tickets. We were committed. We now had to cycle to Rothesay.

On the ferry across to Dunoon however things got clearer, the wind subsided somewhat and we felt much better about the cycle. Tom and I knew we had some killer hills coming up and I think this made it harder for us to go on. Certainly did for me anyway.

We got to the hills and even Tom was struggling up there. I however am pretty happy with myself having only got off the bike once this weekend. Once the 1:8 incline was done, we took a short rest and cycled on to Colintravie where we arrived just in time for the ferry, however it was time for lunch so we decided to stop and have a bite to eat at the Colintravie hotel. It served possibly the best food in the world with a cheerful German Barmaid to talk to...

Enough of that...we got on the ferry to Bute and stormed the next 10 or so miles to Rothesay, we got there about an hour ahead of what we had planned so we decided to go for some ice creams at Zavaroni's and sat in the drizzle waiting for the ferry.

When we arrived in Weemyss bay we found that we would have to wait for over 45 minutes for the train to Glasgow so we decided to cycle to Inverkip instead of sitting doing nothing. The short cycle proved to be a lot harder than I thought but I managed it - including the cliff-like hill to get to Inverkip train station - whoever thought that one up needs their head examined.

I'll post pictures of the weekend as soon as I get them from Douglas, our resident photographing cyclist.

No comments: