Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Travelling without moving

Today I travelled from Gothenburg to Norway. It took me 7minutes. All in the comfort of my chair.

No I wasn't in a supersonic jet. I was following our route on the maps that were delivered. Unfortunately the maps don't show much in the way of the topography of the land. Nor do they make it easy to understand the scope of the journey ahead of us.

I always prefer to map a route out on paper instead of the pc. For a start you get a sense of accomplishment, also its a bit of a challenge finding the best route, and lastly...computer algorithms aren't always the best.

We will be taking a laptop with us to update the blog each day during the cycle, however its just not practical to cycle with a laptop on your handlebars. You'd get arrested in about 4 and 3/4 minutes.

So I'm going to try to mount a map on my bike somehow so we can see where we are going each day. The very worst case is tape it to my leg (a la home-made top gun fighters), wonder how that will go down in the land of the giant good looking blond people? a wee short skinny dark haired (well I used to be) scotalian with a map taped to his leg...I'll be arrested by the police for making their country untidy!

Ah well, I'll just have to add any embarrassing memories like being ejected from Disney World, Orlando.

No comments: