Friday, July 11, 2008

"Does this make me look fat?"

Now, normally I am not one to talk about clothes and fashion. I just don't understand it. I wear what I am comfortable in. That's my rule of thumb. Am I comfortable? It will do!

But sometimes comfort isn't the be all and end all; sometimes you need to wear clothes that fit the purpose. Up until last week I had been wearing heavy cotton cargo shorts for training. Yeah the length of them kept me from getting cold but they soaked up a lot of water and added extra weight when I really don't need that!

I invested in several new pairs of shorts - not those anatomically uncompromising cycling ones but rather some surf shorts. The reason behind that is that the length will provide me some insulation against the weather but also they are designed to be light, to not hold water and to allow full range of movement and so leave me unencumbered enough to continue cycling.

Up top...well I always carry a waterproof training jacket thats breathable - to stop me overheating when I am cycling. I normally cycle in a football top/underarmount which is half lycra again to help keep me warm but also allow sweat to get out.

In total all my gear weighs less than 500grams which is extremely useful when you have to carry everything you need.

AND...lastly regardless of the weather I always wear full mountain bike gloves. They provide protection as well as making the handlebars a bit more comfortable on those long long long long long long cycles. They also have the added advantage of kevlar / carbon fibre knuckle protection so when I am careening down hills through bushes my hands wont get scratched and possibly loosened from the handlebars.

No comments: