Monday, July 21, 2008

Mr Average

Today was a great day for cycling. The wind that had been threatening to blow me away over the weekend had subsided to a barely noticeable breeze. The cloud cover had parted to allow some sun to shine.

I set off pretty early this morning, about 9.20am. I set off for my old office first and made really good progress. By 10am I'd covered the 10 miles there. After a short break, I set off for the next 10 miles. Again I'd managed to cover the next 10 miles in just over 40 minutes.

That meant my average speed had risen from 12mph to 15mph. It doesn't sound like much but believe me, when you are on a mountain bike with off road tyres that are slightly soft you do notice that the pedalling ain't as easy as you wish it was.

The amount of cycling I am doing I'd have thought that my general fitness would be much better than it is. However, last night after just 17 press-ups I was out of breath. Bench-pressing? forget about it! I was able to only do a few reps of the normal weights (30Kg) before my arms were trembling. I knew I had been feeling a little bunged up from a cold for a while but hadn't thought it would affect me as much as it did. Today proved otherwise. 5 miles in I had real problems breathing, but I managed to press on regardless. I just hope having to breathe as heavily as I did that I didn't make the cold any worse. Oh well! Lets wait and see. In the mean time, the heating is on and I'm enjoying a nice cold Nastro Azzurro.

No comments: