Sunday, July 27, 2008

Got my head in the clouds!

Today was meant to be a nice short but steep hill climb to the top of a local high spot. As we began the ascent of the 400metre hill we knew it was going to be tough going. The hill was a steep incline that ensured that even cars could barely get up it.

As we neared the top we were looking down on cloud cover, it was quite eerie being able to see down on to clouds. At the same time the views were stunning (I'll post some pictures when I feel less pained).

It was a long 8 miles on an off road track and grass section. Pedalling on grass and rocky terrain is a lot harder than you think but we made good time and managed to complete the section in just under an hour.

We then continued on the same sort of track for another 5 miles to Weemys Bay, 4 miles in the descents began and the track gave way to paved road. However the road was potholed and overgrown. We were making good time, Tom, John, Sean and Douglas were doing about 33mph and I was catching them when it happened. I had set my suspension to super soft for the top of the hill and hadn't switched back - big mistake. As I dodged a pothole on a right hand bend by going over some grass I didn't see the other pot hole in amongst the over grown verge.

I had the bike leaned over and was doing around 33-35mph when I had to snatch the brakes. That was another mistake. I was catapulted clean across a 1.5lane wide road and into the hedge. The bike followed me in and entangled itself in me. I lay there for what seemed like 10 minutes trying to get myself out before Bob arrived. Bob called the rest of the guys and told them we had a man down.

I managed to climb out eventually. Checked my bike over (thanks Giant for making my bike unbreakable)...checked myself over and found that doing an A-Team airswim through a hedge is not good for you (as you can see from the pictures - this is the only one that isn't subject to censorship). My entire torso, both legs and arms are covered in small scratches. My right leg seems to have taken the worst of it and ended up with a two inch gash on the knee and a 5 inch cut on the thigh itself. You gotta admit though, those muscles look uber tough. And yes I am part Hobbit.


There was another 16 miles to go though so I got back on and unfortunately had to take my time averaging a measly 8mph instead of the usual 12mph. Still at least I did it.

No comments: