Friday, July 04, 2008

Good Things come to those who wait..

This weekend sees us do our longest cycle yet...72 miles. Twenty two miles more than we have ever done in one day. The route will take us from Edinburgh Waverley Street station to Falkirk (past the Falkirk Wheel) to Glasgow. Thats 66 miles. Tom and I will also do an extra three miles each way to Glasgow, once in the morning to get the train to Edinburgh and then from Glasgow Centre to our respective flats at night after the 66 miles. And the thing is I am looking forward to it.

I feel like the guy from the guinness advert. Waiting. Poised to spring into action and get that 72 miles under my wheels and start to see the miles go by.

Tick. Follows Tock. Tick. Follows Tock...

Here's why I am getting excited about it. This week we burst through the £500 barrier for donations already. A company I used to work for and that Tom still does work for has kindly said they will provide shirts and give us a donation too. And to top it all off, a site I signed up for ages ago http://www.athletefocus.com/ has been talking to me to get a blog set up there to help motivate others and may also provide us with some sponsorship. All in all, much more positive than I thought things were going to be.

I've recently given myself a much more streamlined haircut (read as: shaved it all off with a number 1 clipper) and gained enough weight to tip the scales at 62kg last thing at night. I haven't ever done that since I became sick with Crohns Disease (a story for another time) apart from a long time ago during a period of heavy medication from my doctors. Ever since then I've been struggling to get my weight up to 59kg, never mind 62kg.

And that is where my philosophy in life comes in, EVERYTHING, no matter how hard it seems to deal with it at the time, has a positive aspect to it. Jack inspired Tom to decide to raise money for the charity that looked after him, but I reckon its made all the guys taking part better friends and made us learn a lot about ourselves. So yeah cycling for 5 hours is a real pain in the arse. Yeah, I am in pain the next day. But by doing this every week I learn more about my limits, what I can cope with and what I am willing to go through to ensure that we dont let anyone down in Sweden. At the same time I get fitter, a bit heavier and I get to see parts of Scotland I had only ever dreamed of...so whats a day of pain compared to all that?

No comments: