Monday, July 07, 2008

In-pain in the membrane

Deltoid Ligament to be exact, located in the inner side of the ankle just in front of the joint where the Tibia and Fibia join.

Last night I knew I had exerted myself beyond what I was able to do but stubbornness, drive and determination ensured I managed to complete the cycle. I spent a few minutes in a cold bath before refilling it with HOT water and easing the muscle pain through massage (well pummelling them with the heel of my hand). Trouble is I neglected my ankles and now I am paying for it.

The problem all started because of my pedalling technique. It works for me 95% of the time but when I get tired I find that I start to toe in which forces my foot to bend slightly inward; to counteract that my leg stiffens up the ankle and it's this that has caused the swelling and pain.

The other contributing factor is not wearing the right socks. I don't like to feel confined when cycling so tend to wear very short socks or shoe liners, which means ankles get no support however flimsy.

So tonight it's a regime of contrast bathing my foot, and then applying a little pressure and keeping it mobile. That should help enough blood circulate to the soft tissues to help them heal.

Failing that there's always the good old Ibuprofen tablets to help reduce the inflammation and paracetamol to reduce the pain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your insane in the brain....Hope the heel feels better.