Monday, May 26, 2008

Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Yeah Brain but what would you do with a GPS tracked mobile phone a USB memory stick and a mountain bike?


Answer: Ride 10 miles to your old work place, drop off a memory stick and ride the long way home past some killer hills.





I took the opportunity today to test my endurance now that I've been cycling for a while and decided to set off from home after having only a bowl of cereal for breakfast. This might sound idiotic but I felt it necessary. It would allow me to gauge how my muscles have adapted to cycling and the distances. If I collapsed after 10 miles with muscle cramp, or my legs just couldn't work any more then I'd have to up the training; if I managed the 10 miles out without food or drink and just worked on the stored energy then the signs are good that I'm making progress.



Did I do it? hell yeah! 10 miles out to my old work to drop off a USB memory stick to someone that I borrowed it from ages ago and thats the first time I had any food fuel enter my system since breakfast this morning. On the way back though I had to use a lot more carbs to get me home. I decided though that now I could feel the muscles getting fatigued it was time to hit the killer hills and push them that bit harder - no pain, no gain after all!


On the way home I took a detour past Bellahouston park it has one of Glasgows tallest hills in the middle of it and would make perfect training for my legs and the unknown terrain of Scandinavia this year. Friends have been bugging me for a while to show them how steep the hill is (and I've added camera shots for you this time) but it doesn't quite get the sense of height or steepness when you are viewing a still image. Watch out for the live footage we will get soon!

No comments: