Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Bonnie Bonny Banks of Loch Lomond

Well things looked bad this morning: I went to bed at 3am after a long night drinking; I woke up at 7am; and to top it all off I found my front tyre was punctured! Argh!

It didn't bode well for a trip to Loch Lomond at all.

Things got better though. The weather was amazing, probably one of the hottest days of the year. I love this kind of weather as it means I don't have to worry about keeping warm. We set off about 1.45 to meet Douglas at the SECC. The first ten or so miles were really straight forward, we stopped at Mags Cycle Shop for some drinks and chocolate - well we had just caned it along a canal route on mixed terrain.

After the stop though - the legs really didnt want to move again but we managed to get the next 6 miles done without any incident. We soon started to smell the salt air of the sea and then the cooler air from Loch Lomond started to help us fight off the fatigue.

I'm really surprised at the trail - I had thought it was going to be a boring path all the way but thankfully some bits are not paved; other bits are asphalt and theres even a short section of just mud track.

We arrived at Loch Lomond about 2 hours after settings off - meaning we achieved out target 12 miles per hour. This demanded a pint to celebrate, Tom obviously prepared bought us a bottle of Koppaberg Pear Cider from Tullies Bar. Probably the most refreshing pint in the world.

No comments: