Sunday, February 08, 2009

We are no longer the knights who say "Ni"

We are now the knights who say "ecky ecky ecky patang!" Well...thats what my legs feel like they are doing. So today, I decided that since my arms hurt after take after take making that chip up video that I would mainly work my legs.

Starting with a 5 minute cycle at 30km/h to warm up, I then stretched my hamstrings using this method:



With my legs suitably warm, I then went on to the leg press. Now its been a while since I did this so I started light - 73kg and did 20x Squats twice with my feet at the bottom of the foot board on the leg press machine - this worked my quads and could feel the burn shortly after starting. I NEVER fully lock our my knees when doing squats, thats asking for trouble, instead I keep a 10 degree bend in my knee and hold it for 5 seconds, then down (take 2 seconds to go down) and then up (again taking two seconds to do this).

Then keeping the same weight I moved my feet right up to the top of the foot board. This worked the tops of the backs of the thighs and shortly I could feel them loosening up a little as they heated up. I could only manage 10x 73kg squats twice doing this.

Lastly, I did some calf presses, now, I couldnt actually lift the 73kg from a squat position to a full leg straight position using the calf press stance, so I squatted the weight normally until my legs were straight and slowly walked my feet so they were off the board apart from the balls of my feet. Then slowly, drop your heels and then just as slowly start to raise them. You'll feel the contraction in your calves if you are doing this right, I try to keep my feet as close together as possible when doing this.

Whilst I am trying to bulk up a little, my main aim is to increase strength and stamina in the muscles and thats just what I am achieving by never unstressing the legs during a squat.

Feel free to leave a comment!

No comments: