Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A great chinese man once wrote...

No it's not a dirty limerick...hear me out because I don't often spout philosophical ideology...

A man is born gentle and weak.
At his death he is hard and stiff.
Green plants are tender and filled with sap.
At their death they are withered and dry.
Therefore, the stiff and unbending is the
disciple of death.

The gentle and yielding is the disciple of life.
Thus and army without flexibility never wins a battle
A tree that is unbending is easily broken.
The hard and the strong will fall.
The soft and weak will overcome.

Attributed to Lao Tsu


This saying has stayed with me for a long time, since the first time I read it in the early/mid 90's. Thanks to a friend who got me into this sort of stuff. I don't mean for one second that if you are stiff and inflexible then you will go around murdering people. Nor do I mean that this is aimed purely at your physical nature.

Instead take it as an approach to life that life is constantly evolving and as such your attitude, outlook and thoughts must also change towards the forces pushing or pulling on you. The way you train, the way you eat and even the way you interact with friends and family will have to evolve at some point or other or you will risk losing what you have striven to achieve.

Normal service shall resume shortly.
Feel free to leave a comment!

No comments: