Tuesday, June 17, 2008

How do you measure up?

Why are some people able to keep going further than others? I regularly cycle 14 miles. So why was I so tired halfway through the cycle on sunday; why was I not able to keep up with the other guys?

Partly its my lifestyle; other than the 1 and a bit hour training each night I lead a sedentiary lifestyle both at work and at home. I get to the office and sit down, I come home and sit down some more - I don't even have stairs to walk up when I get home to give me a bit of exercise.

Thats going to change from today onwards.


The other reason is Lean Muscle Mass and Body Fat. Each play an important role in your stamina. Lets take the easy one first, Body Fat (lipids) are your body's way of storing excess energy as well as storing other things. When you exercise your body starts to burn the fat as a fuel for muscles, so its important to have a certain ratio of fat in your body or you risk a lot of other problems. Ideally a male should have between 9-16% body fat; women slightly more from 15-25%. This will ensure that your body can function how it needs.

Thats all fine and well if you have the correct muscle mass to help burn the fat when it needs it. Ideally your Lean Muscle Mass (i.e. how much of your weight isnt fat or skeleton or internal organs, should be above 40%. Now - that doesn't mean we should all be Sly Stallone. Just because the muscle mass is over 40% doesn't mean you will be 'ripped', remember your legs and butt account for a lot of your muscle mass.

Now thats been explained I will explain my problem, currently my body fat percentage is hovering around the 10% mark - within tolerance for the healthy male range; but what is causing problems is having a lean muscle mass of 35%. There just isnt enough muscle to burn the energy I eat and store to keep me going.

How do I resolve it?


1. Eat more protein at the right time. There is a period of time after exercise where your body is more receptive to protein than any other time - sometimes known as the "Golden Hour" - during this time drinking/eating high protein foods will help build muscle mass. I hope it helps me!
2. Increase muscle efficiency - by not leading such a sedentiary lifestyle I should be able to make my muscles (specifically my breathing and legs) more efficient.

No comments: