Monday, September 29, 2008

Who are you calling a jerk?

Yesterday was the first day I got back on the bike since getting back from Sweden. Cycling back to Irvine from Glasgow. 38 miles. I'd done it in 2.75hrs in one go the last time (two weeks before the trip).

This week it took us just over 3 hours - which still isnt too bad. But it was absolute hell. I'd made the mistake of hurrying whilst washing my water bottles. That meant when I needed liquid most and took a quick swig I couldn't. All I could taste was washing up liquid. Now, If you have ever tried to cycle 40 miles across the countryside with no liquid you will know how stupid that was.

My muscles were starting to seize up pretty badly, my lips were dry, and I could feel them starting to crack.

I made it though.

That wasn't the worst though. At the end of the night I lay in bed trying to sleep and just about managed to drift off when I jumped out of my skin...everyone has this from time to time. You know the dream. You're falling, falling, falling and boom with a jerk you wake up...then you drift off to sleep again. It happened to me 4 times last night. Its pretty un-nerving waking up thinking you're about to crash, even my hands had tightened as if I was pressing the brakes.

So what the heck happened?

Well. At night your bodys cicadian rhythm starts to slow everything down so you can sleep. Hormones are released to induce your body to want to sleep, you yawn your head off, and then nod off. simple?

Well, when you are exhausted your body is affected much more than normal, your heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure drop much more rapidly. Your lymbic system panics as it thinks you are about to pop your clogs and sends a massive jolt to every muscle in your body - a kind of a jump start. Your heart rate speeds up, your breathing quickens and your blood pressure spikes temporarily; trouble is, I was so tired that this "one time fix" didn't work. So my brain tried it, again, and again, and again.

The net result is a very bad nights sleep; and very sore muscles the day after.

What have I learned? never ever ever wash your water bottles only 8hrs before you use them. Wash. Rinse. Rinse. Rinse. Rinse. and Rinse again!

And I've decided that cycling alone isnt going to help. This week sees me starting weight training again, and rowing, possibly running although I can't think of anything worse!

No comments: