Sunday, September 21, 2008

Brake! Brake! Brake! Power on!

21st September 2008...a quiet day in the countryside, in the distance you can hear birds tweeting in the autumn sunlight. We are in a conference room, surrounded by racing memorabilia. Up at the front the Chief Steward is telling us the rules for the day. He's being lighthearted about the rules but making sure we understand the severity of breaking them.



We file outside, put on our helmets and get our instructors paired with us. We're about to race round scotlands only touring car circuit. As I get in the car, my instructor sets the rear view mirror so he can see out the back - he explains that I wont be using that mirror and I have to learn to use the door mirrors instead as the formula 3000 car I will be in next doesnt have a windscreen, never mind a mirror attached to it!

We file into the pit lane one by one, lined up at the end of the lane waiting our green light...car number 7 gets off first, then 4...closely followed by 6 and then me...number 5. I bring the revs up to 3000 and wait...wait...as I drop the clutch I can feel the wheels scrabbling for grip but not quite spinning.

The first corner is close to the entrance but even still we are doing 50mph and have to go hard on the brakes, the car dives on to its front wheel as the weight transfers from the back. I can feel the car trying to pull left as I turn right and down the hill, on the accellerator now. Swing to the left, brake for the corner turn right, power on to pull up the hill and a quick left right throught the chicane. Now a long left hander, working up through the gears, hitting 125 on the curve before quickly getting on the brakes using the gears to help slow down quick....quicker that hairpin is tight and quickly approaching...Whew, slowed enough, full lock to the right, second gear ready and foot down bring on the power nice and smooth, you can feel the turbo kicking in!

Quickly through the gears up to 6th along the start straight. One lap down...two more to do...and thats practice over.

Our instructor then takes us back out in the same car to show us how to improve. Listening to him intently I manage to get my time down even further.

Now...its time for the formula 3000 car. Its a modified one with a 1000cc race bike in it. Thankfully I get the ferrari red one (thats made my day). This time starting the car isnt so easy as turning a key, first you need to ensure the water and oil pumps are on, now, select first gear using the paddles. Clutch down until the gear selector flashes at you..as you press the start button the engine roars into life, the carbon fibre silencer (what little there is of it) doesn't do much to dull the roar of the engine.

Gingerly lifting off the clutch (theres no biting point on it at all) so as not to stall I peel out of the pit lane, the training car was quick but this is quicker. I bring the engine up to 12000rpm before changing to 4th, on the brake ready for the first corner, the car turns in sharply, this time no roll at all. I can feel all the grip transfer to the left tyres as I turn right, on the power again and a smooth transfer to the left, accellerate again and then lift off, turn right and power on. Catching the apex just right to swing me out to the left. Keep the car in 3rd and power on up the hill drifting right, now aim for the kerb on the left dont touch the brake till you are on the apex, the steering goes light - the apex is right on the crest of the hill, its do or die time, foot down accellerate hard and turn right so the car swings on the opposite kerb and maintains the line.

Smooth now, up to fifth, brake again for the right hander before the long left, take a lazy right so you are on the left, now drift across the track. The hairpin approaches at dizzying speed, only 50 metres from its apex i hit the brake and come down the gears, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, turn hard right - cross the arms get full lock, right hand front tyre is almost on the grass, power on...4th, 5th, 6th, watch the crew for my lap time...keep your mind on the track Mauro...you've still got a race to finish! As I turn my head back to the track I can feel the force of the wind trying to move my head this way and that...130mph less than 3 inches off the ground is exhilirating....the sound of the engine fades to the background all there is is the track and the car in front...

Lap by lap my times come down, I pass a few cars, until my confidence is knocked...Coming up the hill to the chicane too quick I almost run into the back of a slower car, I slam on the brakes but because the car is travelling so fast when I hit the crest the wheels lock up...I lose ground because I've gone wide..damn it! Quick, get back to the racing line...2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th don't let the car or track scare you Mauro, you've got to get it done! My times start coming down and down and down..by the end of the day I've taken 17seconds off my laptimes. I'm happy with that. Its time for a well earned drink and the prize giving.

I didn't win anything but I'll have a fantastic memory. I am home now, the smell of oil and fuel is in my clothes and on my hands...I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight without thinking of the race.

1 comment:

Douglas Roy said...

Love the way you labelled this "relaxation". Anyway, I know you would have been in your element out on the track. Hope you made the Stig proud and posted a good lap time.